Functions enables you to write code, or leverage existing code, to achieve required business logic, whether transforming messages and data as they pass through PubNub, re-routing those messages, augmenting, filtering, and even aggregating data for subsequent use.
Functions doesn't require you to spin up your own servers or incur increased latency through call-outs to external server/serverless technology; the code you write or leverage runs within PubNub's operational environment, giving you the scale and speed that you need for your applications.
PubNub develops and maintains this catalog with a large collection of predefined and customizable Functions. You can import Integrations from within the PubNub dashboard itself. You can quickly integrate to third-party services to do things like translate message content, integrate into a chatbot, or perform sentiment analysis on chat room content.
Get inspired by our Integration Catalog.
Requires third-party service signup
When you integrate with third-party services, such as Amazon, Librato, MapBox, or RingCentral, the services often require account setup to use them. Please make sure to visit the integration documentation page, located in the Integration Catalog, to learn what's required.
- Sift Ninja analyzes and filters text based on certain risk levels, and can then automatically moderate, hash out profanity, or mark as NSFW, all fully customizable.
- Neutrino's Bad Word Filter API detects profanity in text, and offers a variety of censoring options.
- Sightengine's Image Moderation allows developers to moderate and filter user-generated photos for adult content, validation, and photo type.
- IBM Watson Assistant allows you to build a chatbot or virtual agent that can carry out conversations with end users in real time.
- Amazon Comprehend uses natural language processing (NLP) to extract insights about the content of documents without needing any special preprocessing.
- Gupshup is an advanced bot and messaging platform that enables you to quickly and easily build, test, deploy, and manage chatbots across all messaging channels.
More Use Cases
With Functions, you can execute a variety of operations against your messages and data. You can also develop custom APIs that can be called directly from your own applications, services or processes. Some examples include:
User blocking discards messages from specific users.
Spam filtering detects spam messages and trashes them before they're sent to other users or recorded in history.
Aggregation logic combines multiple messages into a single message to subscribing clients. For example, in large chat rooms, it can be more efficient to aggregate reactions or live poll results.
Third-party integrations let you redirect message data to third-party services via web service calls.
PubNub provides an ability to implement customer integrations to PubNub platform using Functions. Please refer to Functions Overview for more information.